Thursday, August 11, 2011

2 Zippers in 1 week...Eek!


I am not a fan of zippers...sewing them that is. This might be because I'm not that good at it. I don't even really get it when I use the zipper foot on my sewing machine. It doesn't make it any easier. Anyone who says it does is a liar(I call it like I see it). I decided to make a pocket for my diaper bag which has a zipper. That one went fine, the top stitch around it could be straighter--and probably would be if a 5 year old had done it--but all in all it came out fine and it zips.

Today I decided that I needed to try and make a wet bag, we will be cloth diapering when baby #2 gets here. I had left over fabric from the diaper bag and I had bought some PUL(polyurethane laminated fabric) when it was on sale at Joann Fabric with the thought that maybe I'd give this a try instead of spending $16 on a store bought bag.

The bag itself was totally easy. I might make a smaller one for my wallet, phone, ect. The zipper really threw me for a loop this time.
I'm still trying to figure out what happened here---->

Really it wasn't part of the plan. Eh, what can you do? Maybe I'll get better at zippers or maybe I should just find someone who is good at them and beg them to share the magical powers that they must possess if they are actually good at zippers.

Really, in the grand scheme of things that little curve doesn't bother me. I just wish I knew how I did it so I can not do it next time!

I think the final product looks nice.
*Not sure why this picture is uploading upside down*

I added a snap and button to my wet bag. In the tutorial I used(see below) they just made a carrying strap, I wanted mine to hook to the diaper bag. The button is just for looks.



http://alemonsqueezyhome.blogspot.com/2010/05/wetbag-tutorial.html

I think I might try to make a bigger hanging bag for at home. That is if I can figure out measurements to zipper size--I think I already worked that out, I think.

I won't lie, I'm pretty impressed that I was able to sew two zippers this week and they both work. It's the small things in life.


No comments:

Post a Comment