Monday, August 8, 2011

One of a kind...

I really couldn't find a diaper bag that I loved--That was also under $150, and really who can afford that, I know I can't-- and I didn't want a diaper bag that everyone else had. So, I decided to make my own. I should note that I've never made a bag of any kind. Not even one of those sew 3 sides and your done kind. Bags have always intimidated me, but I gave it a try.

First step, find a tutorial for a diaper bag I like(I also didn't want it to look too much like a diaper bag): http://www.make-baby-stuff.com/free-diaper-bag-pattern.html This is the one I decided on.

Second step, find the fabric. Easier said then done. I was in Joann Fabric for around 2 hours trying to decide. When I found something I liked I sent a picture to my hubby to see what he thought. It turns out I can't make a decision even to save my sanity--Did I mention I had 2 boys at the store with me?--and he was kind enough to give me his opinion. My favorite one was actually a combo that he liked to. YAY! Here's a picture of the fabric. Cute right? This was the last combo I tried with the green. There were about 8 others that I tried with it and while I liked them just fine it wasn't what I was looking for.



Third step, get over fears and get to work. I cut out the pieces in the middle of the night. Really, it was like 12am. Then started sewing everything together when I got up in the morning-around 7:30-8am. It was all so much easier than I thought it would be! In the tutorial I used the only thing that threw me off was the last step. Which way the lining needed to be turned. I did it wrong and had to seam rip the whole lining out. Not fun. I did figure it out. The zipper needed to be facing my outside pockets.

I finished somewhere in the 11:30-12:00 time frame so it did take me a little while to do. It was not the disaster I was expecting and I didn't have any melt downs--See: The Quilt that nearly did me in--I am totally happy with the bag and since this one turned out so good I want to try my hand at making other types of bags. I'm gonna get my sew on!

Now drum roll, please:
My Beautiful Diaper Bag!


No comments:

Post a Comment