Thursday, August 11, 2011

Onesie Dress


I made the cutest onesie dress. I thought I was done sewing for the day but I just couldn't stop **Nesting anyone?**. I didn't think about taking pictures along the way until I was about 95% done with the dress. So I'll just tell you what I did.

Step one: I used a NB onesie that was passed down to me. I measured about an inch down from the sleeves. This one was 6 1/2 inches across. Then, by not thinking, I cut right around 30 x 10. I would have made it smaller but as I started thinking about it I decided that was probably as good as any size since I was going to be gathering the 30" edge. It was perfect.

Step two: Use a gathering stitch (or just loosen your tension) across the 30" edge. I did about 1/2 an inch from the top. Gather.

**You need to decide where you want the fabric to sit on the baby. Like I said I wanted mine about an inch from the sleeves.

Step three: Make sure you have it gathered to the right size--If you gather too little or too much it wont turn out right so wrap it around your onesie and adjust if need be--and sew the seam up the side.

Step four: Hem bottom of fabric. I did a 1/2 inch and then folded it over 1/2 inch again. You can iron if you want, I just pressed with my fingers and then pinned. *Lazy*. Sew 1/4" from the edge.

Step five: Pin fabric to dress. Right side out Make sure you don't pin both sides of the onesie! I started with my seam on the side, you can put yours on the back if you want I just think it looks better on the side, and work my way around with my hand in the onesie. This made it easier to control which layers of cloth the pins were going through.

Step six: Sew carefully around the onesie. Try to sew over the gathering thread. You can stop here. I didn't.

Step seven: Hand sew lace, in effect hiding all the machine sewing at the top edge of the fabric. I, again, started at the side seam and slowly worked my way around. I wanted some of the fabric to be seen up over the top of the lace.Again, you can stop here and again I didn't.

Step eight: I added cute little "Yo-yo flowers" to the left shoulder. Here is a good video tutorial on how to make them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt9-y0adfUA

Here is a picture of the ones I made. I used a large spool of thread for the small circles and the spool from the lace for the larger size. In the middle are just random buttons I had on hand. Then I just hand stitched them onto the onesie.















Now for some pictures of the finished dress.




The best part is this:
Onesie: Free
Fabric: Yard sale over a year ago for 2 bucks(I still have about a yard left)
Lace: Bought 2 years ago at 50% off= around .99.
Buttons: From random clothes over the years.
Total: less than $1 to make the whole thing. Can we say SCORE!

1 comment:

  1. I can hardly wait to see Lola in that dress!! Great work!!!!!

    ReplyDelete