Monday, June 20, 2011

I shall call it: "Epic Fail Bakery"

Saturday I made Strawberry freezer jam. It came out awesome! So I was thinking the only thing that would make it better was fresh homemade bread to put it on. I decided to try a new recipe of the artisan realm of bread making.
This is where it all went horrible wrong:
  • 20 minutes before you are ready to bake the bread preheat the oven with a pizza stone in it at 450 F
  • Beneath the pizza stone place a broiler tray or roasting pan
  • Once you are ready to bake, dust the dough lightly once more and slice the bread for presentation
  • Slide the dough onto the pizza stone and add a cup of hot water to the pan beneath
  • Shut the oven door quickly, the added water to the pan beneath the stone will sizzle and steam which offers great crust results
I hadn't slept well the night before and I had already cleaned and made jam, my thinking had no doubt become slightly muddled.
Everything was going as planned and I put the bread in the oven then got the water. I poured less then a 1/4 cup in when my brain clicked in with an echoing shout "You put a Glass pan in!!!!". That thought came about 2 seconds before this:


That's right, it exploded. Luckily for my son and I the glass didn't go far. We were both standing in the kitchen and while I was much closer some of the glass flew in his direction-none came my way- and landed about about a foot from him. He would have been burned if it had made it too him at the very least.
I've been making bread for years. No bread machine just good old kneading. I have never had it fail like this. So I decided to try again and just forget the water part. The bread cooked just fine. BUT. It was nasty. It was so salty. I even checked the recipe a few times before I measured it into the recipe. Yuck.
Moral of this story: Stick with the bread you know and don't put the glass pan in the oven to heat up...sheesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment