Thursday, June 16, 2011

The only gift is a portion of thyself. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

I always stress about things I make not being perfect. I will show my husband what I've made and the conversation will go something like this:
Me: It's done
Hubby: That's really awesome, babe!(I often wonder just how much he humors me)
Me: I messed up a little here, this line isn't straight, look this isn't...
Hubby: Rebecca, really? No one is going to notice that! I'm looking up close and wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't shown me!
Me: I just wish it was perfect.
Hubby: It doesn't matter if it's perfect, what matters is the work and thought you put into it.

He's right. When I made my sons quilt he didn't care that the thread wasn't all the same. He didn't care that the shapes weren't all exactly lined up. He cared that Mom made it just for him. When the baby gets here will she care that a line isn't straight? Nope, she will no doubt spit up on her blanket, and possible pee or poop on it. Lines wont be on her mind(or mine at that point.)

This is the blanket I made for our
daughter on the way:





It's not perfect and I'm ok with that. The gift is that I made it just for her. She'll appreciate that one day. I know I have a blanket that someone made for me when I was a baby, and I love that I have it now and can use it for my baby girl.

This is the first time I've ever made a ruffle. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be but still a tad trying. The quilt pattern is called Easter Ruffle Quilt. You can find the pattern here:
http://www.thegirlcreative.com/2011/03/easter-ruffle-quilt.html

No comments:

Post a Comment